You know how Macy and I are always trying to be healthy, and find new healthy meals to serve to our families? Well as of late, we discovered a little piece of fruit that can make big impacts on your health! Did you know that not only are raspberries good for you, but they’re also good for your heart? It’s true! They are certified by the American Heart Association as a heart-healthy food. I wouldn’t lie to you!
Did you know that these little berries could be so good for your body? Well if you did, smarty pants, did you know that they also are jam packed with dietary fiber, vitamin C and manganese? (Just check out Driscoll’s® website for more interesting raspberry facts!) They can help decrease your odds for heart disease – and sorry, but your heart is kind of a vital organ. Just saying!
I’m going to give you a few more raspberry health facts, brought to you by Driscoll’s® and then I’ll get to the part where I tell you how you can incorporate these little superfoods into your diet!
Raspberry Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup
% Daily Value
Vitamin C: 44%
Vitamin K: 10%
Fresh Raspberry Recipes
Now that you know what kinds of health benefits raspberries have, let’s continue on with some wonderful recipes that you can use any time that you want a healthy snack!
The first recipe I’m going to share with you is a Ginger Raspberry and Strawberry Smoothie. I’m sure you know that ginger is great for your stomach and your digestion system as well. And naturally strawberries are a great source of antioxidants that are great for our immune system. So with all that being said, enjoy this video/recipe for making a great smoothie that incorporates all these wonderful foods!
Ginger Raspberry and Strawberry Smoothie
Here’s the recipe written down, in case you didn’t catch it! Recipe and image by Driscoll’s®.
- 2/3 cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 package (16 ounce) Driscoll’s Strawberries, frozen
- 1 package (6 ounces) Driscoll’s Raspberries
- Blend milk, yogurt, ginger, honey, strawberries and raspberries in a blender until pureed and smooth, stirring several times. Serve immediately.
Doesn’t it sound yummy! Plus with the Greek yogurt, you’ll also be getting some extra protein. This is a great recipe for pre/post workout snacks.
So maybe sometimes we don’t want a smoothie, we want something more solid. When that’s the case, there are definitely some yummy recipes for putting raspberries into your snack to make it healthy. This recipe incorporates fresh raspberries with some dark chocolate (antioxidants – yes!!) to make a yummy parfait. So get ready to get hungry. Here’s how you can make one of these tasty treats at home!
Yogurt Parfait with Fresh Raspberries and Dark Chocolate
- 2 non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips, chunks or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 package Driscoll’s Raspberries (6 ounces)
- Stir yogurt and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Spoon half of yogurt mixture into 2 parfait or wine glasses. Top with half of walnuts and half of the dark chocolate.
- Mash half of raspberries in a small bowl and layer into parfait glasses. Top with remaining yogurt mixture, walnuts, dark chocolate and top with whole raspberries.
With these delicious raspberry recipes, you should have a great start for some healthy snack ideas for your summer. For more wonderful dessert or meal ideas that involve fresh raspberries, visit Driscoll’s website for plenty more raspberry recipes!
Disclosure: We were not paid for our opinions or to put together this post. We were provided Driscoll’s coupons to purchase raspberries and produce a post about them. All opinions here are my own.